Monday, March 30, 2009

Bad Baby Bath?

Just wanted to include the email that got it all started.


"Okay, so I was completely on the fence about sharing this, because I'm totally known for being neurotic about these things BUT I did it anyway. Truth is I can be neurotic about these things and you all ALREADY know that about me, so why hide? PLUS you all should know (if you don't already). Especially if you have used Mustela, I was surprised.

Anyway, you all know how I feel about informed decisions (it's the doula in me)! :)

I love you all and your babes! Hope you're all well. For those of you far away, you are missed and we hope to see you soon! I'll send pictures soon, promise.

http://safecosmetics.org/article.php?id=414#contam_ingred
http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/index.php

Some articles about it:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/03/12/AR2009031202940.html

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2009-03-12-formaldehyde_N.html

http://www.newsday.com/news/health/ny-hsbaby13-nws,0,6899715.story "

2 comments:

  1. I love the Skin Deep database! It really helped me answer the sunscreen question. For wash, Mr E uses Weleda Baby Calendula Shampoo & Body Wash. His skin is super sensitive and it keeps it nice and smooth and smells good, too. The database doesn't list it, but I've checked the ingredients. The 1 thing they would have complaints about is "fragrance" because it is undefined, but I think it's good stuff. I especially love that it takes care of both hair and skin.

    And for the sunscreen issue; Badger Sunscreen is great, and I love California Baby because it goes on easy, but certain 4-year olds in my house complain about the word "baby" and the picture of a baby on the label. Badgers are cooler, I guess.

    Also, I just discovered that Neutrogena Sensitive Skin SPF30 is only a 2 on the database. It's easy to find anywhere and reasonably priced.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From Mandala:

    "Dear Conscious Mamas, Here is my contribution as a mother of Okona, 4 years old:

    1. Aquasana water filter system for kitchen sink and bathroom shower, replace every 6 months

    2. Badger Baby Chamomile Baby Oil, organic

    3. Badger All Natural SPF 30 Sunscreen for Face and Body

    4. Burt's Bees Herbal Insect Repellent

    5. Burt's Bees Baby Bee Diaper Ointment

    6. Gaia Herbs Children (Wet Cough, Dry Cough, Elder Eyebright Forumula for runny/stuffy noses)

    7. Aubrey Organics Natural Sun SPF 20 for face and body (for mommy)

    8. Omega Juicer, model 8003 to juice vegetables, fruit, make pasta, and more. As quiet as a deep hum.

    9. Nelson Cuts and Scrapes Cream (I use this when Okona has the severe case of hives in the middle of the night; it brings immediate relief. I do not like the parabens within it, but is the only source of Hypericum (St. John's Wort) ointment I could find. I use it maybe 3 times a year.

    10. Sprouting Jar to soak and or sprout beans to release the phytic acid.

    11. The cookbook, Nourishing Traditions for many (not all) of their food guidelines.

    12. Dr. Michael Tierra's Old Indian Wild Cherry Bark Formula (my whole family used it this cold season) (At Whole Foods)

    13. Dr. Michael Tierra's Tri-Cleanse as a part of our Anti-Cancer diet (one part of many parts...)

    14. Deleted white sugar from home and use Maple syrup, Raw-only honey, Yacon Syrup, or stevia. We eat white sugars when we're out at restaurants, bakeries, parties, which is a treat!

    15. Dr. Tierra's "Calm Child" herbal formula for when we're on the road and I can't make Okona's herbal kid's tea, we'll put the drops in some very warm water when we travel.

    There's much more to add, feel free to ask questions.....

    Love,
    Mandala
    Natural and Herbal Medicine Enthusiast and part time scholar ^_^"

    ReplyDelete